I suggest you ...

Expand short URLs

URLs from shortening services are posted as such on FB, which leads to a very uninteresting banner below the status update.

It should be fairly easy to get the original URL and transmit that to FB instead (at least, until FB starts doing that itself).

82 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    mwanji shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kevin Makice commented  · 

This is an important part of recognizing the difference between Facebook and Twitter cultures, which Tweetpo.st aims to do.

• Paul Russell commented  · 

I stand corrected. Posting the urls into facebook only works some of the time.. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for why sometimes the links show up in the bamner and other times they are only text. I'd love to see this work consistently.

• Paul Russell commented  · 

This appears to be working. I'm not sure if Facebook just added this, or it's because I just started using Tweetpo.st, but all my tweets with short URL links still look like short URLs are appearing with thumbnails and summaries in the banner below the post.

This is great!

• Evan commented  · 

longurl.com and untiny.me are two services with good API's for doing this sort of thing. I have some Java library code I've written to access these I'd gladly donate.

• Angela Alcorn commented  · 

Also, short URLs are evil - no-one knows where they're leading until they get there. They're a great way to encourage bad surfing practices and propagate viruses.

Feedback and Knowledge Base