I suggest you ...

using the first name on facebook rather then the whole name

Would be better if instead of using the whole name on facebook...use just the person's first name. example if I am talking about something i did with my wife as a status I am not gonna say me and allison smith went to the mall today I am gonna say me and allison went to the mall today.

42 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Jonathan StraussAdminJonathan Strauss (Co-Founder, TweetPo.st) responded  · 

The way we get the full name is by looking up the user’s Real Name on Twitter, which isn’t split into first and last names (nor is it always there).

In theory if we added a ‘first names only’ setting, we could just post whatever we get from the Twitter Real Name up to the first space. But, that would probably result in a bunch of funky issues.

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Robert FischerRobert Fischer commented  · 

This is going to be a world of hurt for devs; for my votes, I'd rather you focus on things the API provides more direct support for.

Although—if you could map @TwitterName to a Facebook name, then perhaps Facebook could provide "First" and "Last" components?

• sunnysunny commented  · 

I swear! Kyla how how how?

• simplygreysimplygrey commented  · 

Even better would be converting the Twitter @ mentions to Facebook @ mentions where possible. 'Course, on FB, too, I'd like to be able to use aliases in place of full names sometimes. It always feels kinda weird writing the full name of my gf or other close friends and family. But that's obviously not directly a TweetPo.st problem. ;)

• Angela AlcornAngela Alcorn commented  · 

I was thinking it'd be good to be able to specify a short list of twitter usernames where you'd just like first name listed (eg wife, husband, best friend) and leave the rest as full names.

• imsaguyimsaguy commented  · 

I have to agree with Dan DeBlasio. While it might seem obvious to some which Allison you'd be talking about, it isn't always. If anything, perhaps just a setting that lets a user choose in their tweetpo.st settings whether to use whole or first names.

• Dan DeBlasioDan DeBlasio commented  · 

I dont know if this is all good, I have a lot of people named John and Dan on my friends list... I like the whole name thing.

Feedback and Knowledge Base