I suggest you ...

Option for Filtering RTs

A TweetFace user can set an option so that any tweets beginning with 'RT' don't get posted to Facebook

46 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AdminJonathan Strauss (Co-Founder, TweetPo.st) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  AdminJonathan Strauss (Co-Founder, TweetPo.st) responded  · 

@rodbegbie, you’re totally right.

We’re going to start by implementing this as an option for new-style RT’s only.

And I think if the users don’t choose to filter them, we will still change the construction for Facebook (e.g. change it from “RT @username: message….” to “…message /via Real Name”

We will leave conventional RTs (i.e. regular tweets leading with the construction “RT @username”) unchanged.

How does that sound to people?

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kevin Makice commented  · 

This is probably a higher priority item for me than anything else (including translating links and images, or excluding hashtags). I don't use the old-style "RT @username" at all. I will typically re-word the post or quote it directly, and then give the user credit at the end (e.g., "/via @username"), often with my own comment after that (e.g., "[I need this]"). In this way, the tweets I create are still very appropriate for Facebook.

However ...

When I use the twitter retweet option, which does not allow me to edit, just to endorse someone else's post in my timeline, it gets translated into "RT @username" and looks clunky in Facebook. I would much prefer an option to ignore all Twitter retweets as a rule.

• Robert Fischer commented  · 

Where are we at on this? I'm really excited for it.

Sounds pretty good. Looking forward to it, so whatever gets the basic functionality in place is good by me. The "unconventional RTs" can be another vote which we can talk about later.

Big fan of being able to filter out retweets completely. Don't much care about the translated construction.

This kind of stuff is why TweetPost is awesome!

• crashnburn007 commented  · 

Awesome! I like the idea of converting "RT @username:" to "/via Real Name"!

• Ben Ward commented  · 

I think I'd be happier with all retweets filtered. The context doesn't transfer over well to Facebook; entries look odd, and without links to the original, retweeted post or the original author, they look very strange.

• Darcy commented  · 

+1. I'd like to be able to better manage the social conventions and expectations of the different sites (while still being lazy and only posting this nonsense once).

• rodbegbie commented  · 

The Twitter API can distinguish. If you pull the feeds from http://api.twitter.com/1/statuses/home_timeline.xml instead of the RSS URL or the user_timeline, you can look for a "retweeted_status" node that indicates it's a retweet.

eg:

<status>
        <created_at>Mon Mar 15 00:14:46 +0000 2010</created_at>
        <id>10492304988</id>
        <text>RT @A_L: Somehow the sex sheep ended up in the trunk of our cab #daisy #sxsw</text>
        <source>&lt;a href=&quot;http://apiwiki.twitter.com/&quot; rel=&quot;nofollow&quot;&gt;API&lt;/a&gt;</source>
        <truncated>false</truncated>
        <in_reply_to_status_id></in_reply_to_status_id>
        <in_reply_to_user_id></in_reply_to_user_id>
        <favorited>false</favorited>
        <in_reply_to_screen_name></in_reply_to_screen_name>
        <retweeted_status>
        <created_at>Mon Mar 15 00:14:01 +0000 2010</created_at>
        <id>10492275274</id>
        <text>Somehow the sex sheep ended up in the trunk of our cab #daisy #sxsw</text>
        <source>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.tweetdeck.com/&quot; rel=&quot;nofollow&quot;&gt;TweetDeck&lt;/a&gt;</source>
        <truncated>false</truncated>

• AdminJonathan Strauss (Co-Founder, TweetPo.st) commented  · 

Users are asking us to try to filter 'new-style' retweets. However, the Twitter API gives us those in the form of 'old-style' ones (e.g. "RT @username: ..."). So, the option would be to filter out all tweets that contain this construction.

How do people feel about that?

Feedback and Knowledge Base